One of the world’s premier research universities, the University of Chicago has contributed its expertise as the prime contractor for Argonne National Laboratory since the lab’s founding in 1946. In its stewardship of Argonne, UChicago has significant impact on research and innovation in the region and has supported the laboratory with millions in direct investments including:
- Joint UChicago-Argonne institutes and centers collaborative seed grants
- Joint appointments, recruitments, and other supporting investments leadership training
- UChicago scholarships and tuition remission to children of lab employees
- In-state funding for new lab facilities shepherded by UChicago
- Other direct financial support from UChicago and its partners
Keen insight and strategic partnerships help drive the missions of the University’s national and affiliated laboratories.
The Office of Research and National Laboratories is responsible for the stewardship of the University’s contracts with the U.S. Department of Energy in management of Argonne National Laboratory through UChicago Argonne, LLC and co-management of Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory through Fermi Research Alliance, LLC.
University President Robert J. Zimmer chairs both respective boards alongside a diverse collection of business leaders, renowned researchers and senior university administrators.